Monday, June 16, 2008

Sno Cones!

Yesterday our church had an open house with free food after church. I sat with Titus, who was eating a sno cone, and he told me all about it: "Aunt Hannah, I'm eating a sno cone. It's blue. You should have a sno cone." I've never really liked sno cones, but Titus seemed so excited about it that I told him I might have one after lunch. "Do you want to have a sno cone?" he asked again, so I told him, "Let me finish my lunch first and then I'll have one," to which he replied, "I'll go ask for a sno cone for you." So he did. He brought me a pink one. After eating a couple of bites I passed it on to Joy.


A bit later, Little Hannah, who was also at our table, fell out of her chair, bonked her head, and became very upset. As she was crying, Titus said to me, "we should get Little Hannah a sno cone." Then Kristen got up to take Hannah to a different room to calm down and Titus shouted to her, "Kristen! Get Hannah a sno cone!!!" Cute. I like the idea that a sno cone can fix anything.




The food at the open house was good- I always like things like that where everyone brings a side dish or chips or dessert. Of course my favorite is always the dessert, and I always have trouble limiting my dessert consumption. Yesterday I had a chocolate cupcake with lots of frosting, a rich chocolate brownie, and a peanut butter- chocolate cookie. YUM. Something that I was surprised to see as a side dish was a ham & melon plate. It reminded me of the type of food that was all over the place in Spain! I took a picture to show Mari.




Yesterday evening we had Fathers' Day dinner at Luke and Amber's house. Amber prepared some salmon and side dishes. I marinated some flat iron steak and made dessert. It all turned out very well! The steak was tender and delicious. The salmon was good and flavorful. The green beans and tomatoes that Amber had prepared were a nice complement. The dessert that I made was inspired by something I saw in the dessert case at Kroger. It was called a fruit tart, and appeared to be some sort of pie crust with lots of delicous-looking fruit piled on top, with something unidentifiable between the fruit and the crust. Mama suggested that I make the cheese pie that Daddy really likes and pile the fruit on top of that. I had a bit of trouble finding the recipe, and when I did I realized that I did not have graham cracker crumbs for the crust so I had to improvise. Then it didn't set up quite like I wanted it to so the fruit sunk in a little bit. But it still tasted good and I think everyone enjoyed it. I was quite pleased with it's final appearance with all the fruit on top, so I took a picture. Now if I want to do it again I'll know what fruit I used.

3 comments:

Mari said...

oooo, very Spanish indeed! even the plate. That dessert looks yum, Han! Did Titus like it as much as a sno cone??

marigirl said...

by the way---did you eat some, or are you still taking a break from jamon?

marigirl said...

this blog needs some new content!