Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Stuff For My New Apartment!

Today I went shopping with the goal of getting stuff for my apartment with the gift cards I had recieved for graduation. My first stop was Bed Bath & Beyond, to which Justin's grandparents had given me a gift card. I got: a stepstool (for my kitchen, to reach the top cabinets), a trashcan for my bathroom, an over-the-door towel rack for my bathroom, a sugar dish and cream dish (for tea/coffee!), and a butter dish. I did not take photos of any of that stuff because it is not very exciting looking, but very useful.

After that I went to Pier 1 Imports, where I had a gift card from Simon and Katrina. I was hoping to get something to decorate my coffee table (because I have noticed that something that makes model apartments look nicer than my college apartments is artistically arranged stuff on the coffee table) and/or something, preferably plant-like, to put in a corner. I was able to get both!!!

For the corner I got a funky tall, skinny glass vase (on clearance!), a big fake leaf of some kind (maybe palm?), and two chutes of fake leafy bamboo to put in the tall skinny vase. Here is a picture of this decorative conglomeration out of context, and a picture of it in context: I decided to put it on a box (not visible) between the couch and the coffee table.







My next decorative jackpot was a glass leaf (about the size of a small serving tray), on which I put three light brown votive candles. Bonus: they smell really good. I wish I could post a smell online. Since the leaf is dark and my coffee table is dark, I also got a light brown/tan placemat to go under the leaf for a pleasing visual contrast. When I got home I realized that I had some blue stones that were left if my duplex last year, so I put those in the leaf as well. What do you think? Does it look better with or without the blue stones?
Green Frog?

4 comments:

marigirl said...

it would be better if the stones were yellow or green or orange or something, but blue is better than nothing. And frog for sure. weirdo.

marigirl said...

Your apartment is SUPER cute!!! I like the thing in the corner, and the leaf-on-placemat was a really good idea. Decorative without beingn cluttered. Very stylish!

Katrina said...

My friend got these tiny little green dried, round beans from Central Market or whole foods that she would fill her votives with...they were so cute and very simple. You could totally go that route for green if you wanted. She would actually put them inside the votive with the candle, so I am not sure what it would look like around the candle in a dish...but it is just a thought. :)

Evelyn said...

I agree that the stuff around the candles is good, but it might be better to go with a different color, whenver you can get something. KAtrina's idea sounds good. I've used dried peas, beans, and pop corn...