Monday, July 21, 2008

New Job: Update

I realize it has been two full weeks since I had anything to say, or time to say it. I will summarize the past two weeks:
Week 1, aka Dolphin School: I learned a lot about the company. You might call it brainwashing; whatever it was, it left me feeling pumped about working for them!!! But I was very busy all week- dinner with all the new employees after work on Tuesday, company Happy Hour on Wednesday, dinner with Simon & Katrina & Carsen on Thursday. On the way to see S&K my car overheated, so Simon had to come pick me up and then he kindly lent me his car for the next day. (Thanks Simon!)
Weekend: Mama and Daddy and Justin came up for Simon's birthday. It was fun. Justin and Daddy fixed my radiator. (Thanks Justin and Daddy!)
Week 2, aka Developer training: I learned a lot. It was a bit overwhelming because I was the only one in the class who had no programming experience (other than what I did in high school). But it was not impossible, and I think I will really pick it up once I start working.

This past weekend I was very glad to return to my apartment in Houston. Justin had bought me some plants to make it seem more homey! I really like them. He did a great job of picking them out.

Today I started my first day of actual work. I have been put on a project updating/tansforming old eclectic databases for an energy company (whose name I don't want to say because I don't want it coming up in Google searches). The guy in charge of the project emailed me some work flow documents to look over, one of which I understood. He explained the project to me in general terms, after which the other documents were very slightly clearer. Thankfully they will not be throwing me in head first; he said for this project the main goal is for me to learn. I have been assigned to two employees who are doing a lot of the actual coding, to learn from them and start taking some of their more managable tasks.

I know this is a boring, un-illustrated blog post, but I'm kind of tired and need to go to bed so I can get up early for work tomorrow. (that's the NOT fun part of working). Just think- soon I'll be an expert in actually creating websites from scratch!

1 comment:

marigirl said...

BORING! this post has been up forever. pick it up, kid!!