Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Fall!



Ezekiel has really been enjoying the cooler weather, since that means he gets to wear his favorite dragon sweatshirt.

I also means nice snuggle time with his daddy, while wearing his quack-quack sleep sack.

I tried taking Ezekiel to school with me a couple of weeks ago. I thought, "he often naps during this time. He'll probably fall asleep in the car and then sleep through my class." WRONG. He did sleep in the car, but then woke up as I arrived on campus. My professor graciously assured me that it would be a treat to have my little guy in class, but Ezekiel demanded constant attention and then worked himself into a fuss midway through lecture, so that eventually had to leave. So now I know that Ezekiel isn't ready to learn about tax policy yet. Perhaps next semester.

As this semester winds to a close, I'm finding that my enthusiasm for research has slightly waned. Next semester I'll be taking a class from one of my favorite professors, whose research interests I almost always enjoy hearing about. I'm hoping that taking her "topics in microeconomic theory" course will jump start my drive to research and get finished.

I look forward to being done with my degree, because then I'll have to freedom to use it in whatever way I choose. While I do enjoy micro theory research when the problem is interesting enough, finding such interesting problems is not easy. My goals and priorities have been in flux this semester, and as my desire to be a world class researcher peters out, my enjoyment of teaching remains strong. My tuition waiver and stipend depend on me being a teaching assistant, and this semester I'm a TA for an upper level mathematical economics course. I enjoy trying to make the material accessible to the students, and at the same time trying to encourage and reassure them. Pastor Carter has repeatedly emphasized the fact that everything we do, including our work, should be viewed for the context of how it furthers God's kingdom. While economic research clearly works to bring order out of chaos (I love efficiency!), it can be hard to see the impact of this in the day-to-day spent trying to work out the math on some of these models. But it is more tangible to see how I can be a blessing to students every day as a teacher (or, hopefully one day as a professor). So right now I'm hoping to finish my Ph.D. so that I can then have the freedom to do research, as the interest arises, and also to teach.

1 comment:

AS said...

Cute baby pictures! Keep working on becoming a professor- you'll be great at what ever God has planned for you.