Thursday, November 17, 2011

3 Months Old!

Today is Ezekiel's 3-month birthday! Here are a few of the developments we've been impressed by:
  • He has become HUGE. Well, he's still tiny compared to an adult human. But he's much bigger and heavier than he was when he was born.
  • He has started to grab things with his hands. He often holds his hands together in front of him.
  • He can now suck his thumb! He is becoming less attached to his pacifier.
  • He's working towards rolling over. When he's lying on is front, he can twist his back so that he's pretty much on his side.
  • He's laughing a lot! (That's my favorite)


A few times I've wondered at what ages certain developments are "supposed to" happen, but usually I forget or lose interest before I look it up. I've decided I pretty much don't care. While the above developments probably seem un-interesting, especially if they're completely average for his age (or even--GASP--below average), but as his adoring parent, I totally don't care. I'm so proud to see him slowly acquire these life skills, regardless of their indication about how he compares to his fellow babies. And then I had an alarming thought- what if I feel this way about him his whole life? What if I'm always proud of what he's doing well, regardless of whether or not he's better than other people? I guess that's a mother's job. I've always felt opposed to the idea of "celebrating mediocrity", and I certainly hope that my dear son has areas of talent in which he is truly outstanding, but perhaps I will just always see him as outstanding.

No comments: