Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Rice International Cultural Night

Last night I went to the Rice International Cultural Night. One of my classmates was dancing with the group of Lebanese students. She's the middle (short) one:

Also, one of my TAs was playing in a band with other Turkish students. Both of these performances were very good, although I had trouble seeing, due to the chairs and people in front of me, and hearing, due to the noise of people that didn't stop talking the entire time.


There were a few lame performances/presentations, including a pre-recorded audio-visual presentation (i.e. a video) about Egypt that looked like it was made by the Egypt tourism department- it showed the airport, beautiful hotels, and white people enjoying Cairo's nightlife. There was also supposed to be some sort of traditional music performance by the Russian students' group, but it turned out to be one Russian student and 2 Turkish students (including my TA again!) playing a Turkish song. I guess the Russians didn't have enough musicians to make up a whole performance. Afterwards there was a variety of international foods for dinner. Yum! I even got to take home some Kung Pao chicken!

4 comments:

Danny D said...

Meg and I actually ran into a group of Rice grad students Monday night out on the west side of town at Fadi's Mediterranean Buffet, and her first thought was maybe it was one of the undergrad college's "cultural food" nights. She went up and chatted with the lady who seemed to be somewhat in charge and it turns out she had just got done with her PhD I think (in bioengineering or something close to that) and they were celebrating I guess. Now that I think about it, it's too bad you weren't there :(

celiselott said...

This is really neat! Thanks for posting Hannah! I hope things are going well!

marigirl said...

thanks, Han!! good post! Maybe the Lebonese girl will teach you the dance and you can do it with them next year. Why didn't Egypt have some belly dancing? That's dumb. Were there any Japanese girls 1. Bon Odori dancing or 2. singing kareoke?

Evelyn said...

No, Mari. SO next year, you and Hannie need to do one or both ot those. Be there!!