Monday, June 15, 2009

Zebras are Reactionary

The weekend before last Justin and I went to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. Justin liked this big piece of really clear quartz. We spent a couple of hours there, but when we left we decided that we like the Houston Museum of Natural Science better. I think their exhibits are more extensive, and they have more variety.
This past weekend we went to the Denver Zoo, which we decided was quite a bit better than the Houston Zoo. The weather was quite a bit nicer than it ever is in Houston in June, and they had lots of animals that Houston doesn't have (kangaroos, gorillas, polar bears, zebras). The Denver Zoo covers 80+ acres, and it was a challenge to visit every interesting animal in the whole park, but with persistence and good route planning we were able to see pretty much everything. Everyone knows that the most disappointing thing about the zoo is that all too often the animals aren't doing anything even remotely interesting. I was particularly disappointed with the lethargic kangaroos (last picture) because there aren't any kangaroos in Houston; I don't think I've ever seen a live kangaroo, and who knows when I'll have another chance? These kangaroos had a huge enclosure that they shared with a couple of emu, who were just standing around at the other end, also being boring. Luke has proposed a good solution to the "lethargic zoo animal" problem- give each animal a shock collar, and sell remotes to the collars at the front gate. Then zoo-goers who want to see the animals jump up and run around can make this happen for a small fee. Unfortunately, I don't see animal rights people allowing this to happen any time soon.

Thankfully for me, on Saturday the emus did the job for us. After staring at the boring kangaroos for several minutes, hoping to see one jump or at least stand up, I was ready to move on to the next exhibit, when I guess the emu decided he was bored too. So he ran over to the group of kangaroos and started chasing them. I'm not sure when the kangaroos were afraid of, i.e. what the emu would have done if he had "caught" one, but they jumped up and hopped around, allowing me to get these good action shots:

4 comments:

marigirl said...

ha ha! I love that last picture. And all the first pictures are funny too---zoo animals, like Hannahs, need their nap time. Nap time at the zoo! Maybe you could cuddle up with a koala. And the Houston zoo does too have zebras. But their hippo exhibit has said, "Closed today" for about 12 years. :(

Evelyn said...

Great animal pics, kiddo...but where are the awesome mountain pictures with your hunny and your 'rents???

Michael DeSa said...

Hey Hannah! This is Katie, Vince Godinich's sister... I was wondering if you could give me your recipe for Andes mint cookies. He and Mike swear by them and I'm a little jealous :) How are yall? Do you like Colorado? Say hi to Justin for Mike.
Thanks! Katie

AS said...

Han,

Are you going to post about starting Grad school soon?