Monday, June 1, 2009

Eat, Drink and Be Married!

I have taken a large step towards becoming a real grown up: I have gotten married. I think this means I might not even have to sit at the kids' table anymore at family gatherings, but I'm not sure. I might have to have my own kids before that happens.

The wedding was a lot of fun but also very stressful. I had thought I would LOVE having a huge party with all my friends and family all paying attention to ME, but it turned out to be really tiring. There were so many people I wanted to talk to, and I had to be paying attention to what was going on because people were looking at me. I had a really good time, but as Justin and I were leaving we agreed that that is something that is best to only do once.

Thankfully, we only had a few mishaps. First, Luke and Amber and family were late. This would normally be a big deal simply because he's my brother and I want him at my wedding, but it was an extra big deal because he had the ring bearer and one of the flower girls with him. We did have our other flower girl, Carsen, who had dutifully been at the church since 3:30, but the flower girl task was a little too big for one little girl to do on her own. When it was 5:00 pm and we were still unable to get ahold of Luke and Amber, we were quite concerned. Thankfully they were fine and safe, and there had been some mis-communication about what time the wedding started- they thought it started at 5:30. They arrived shortly after 5:00 and sent the kiddos down the aisle. Once it started, the wedding ceremony went smoothly.

After the ceremony, during pictures, my step-grandpa had what appeared to be a stroke. Thankfully a couple of the guests were nurses and were able to attend to him until the paramedics arrived. Sadly, he had to be taken to the hospital, so he and my uncle who drove him weren't able to attend the reception. After several days in the hospital, Pappy was released and doing fine.

The morning after the wedding Justin and I flew to Cancun for 5 nights at an all-inclusive resort. We had a great time. The resort was beautiful and not very crowded (thank you, swine flu!). I think we got a room upgrade because of the low occupancy, and because we were honeymooners, and because we were so charming. The resort even put flower petals on our bed!
We found that it was hardly necessary to leave the resort, since there was a beautiful pool (with a swim-up snack bar / drink bar), lots of nice restaraunts, and beach access. We spent most of our days at either the pool or the beach, while waiters brought us an unlimited supply of margeritas, daquiris, beach combers, quasadillas, chips & salsa, chicken wings, etc. It was great, and very relaxing.

One day we took a tour to Chichen Itzah to see the Mayan ruins. It was really cool to see, but it was very hot that day.

For more pictures, check out my facebook photo album.

Towards the end of our 5 days at the Cancun resort, we decided that that was just the right amount of time for us: it was long enough for us to really be able to relax and enjoy all the food & drink we wanted, but by the end of it we felt refreshed and ready to get on with married life, especially with our upcoming move to Colorado!

Next time: read all about Justin and Hannah's move to CO and their first few weeks there!

3 comments:

dave morris said...

Awesome Post!

marigirl said...

cancun looks gorgeous!! Han, your pictures are so sunny and happy!! excellent post. I hope to see more soon :)

Hannah said...

I am fat in this picture and I want to assure any viewers that this is a temporary problem and with be remedied. (This is Justin)