Sunday, November 16, 2008

My More Intersting Pursuits

I started working at a new client site last week. I was afraid that it would be a depressing environment, boring work, and non-fun people. So far I have been a bit pleasantly surprised; the environment is nice, its only shortcoming being the lack of good comestibles nearby. The work is not the most exciting thing I can imagine, but because it is something I am familiar with (SSIS) I am able to jump right in and impress my coworkers with how quickly I crank out deliverables. And so far I have found my coworkers pretty personable. While these factors are better than I had feared they might be, I still would like the opportunity to move on to something more interesting in the not-too-far future.

On Tuesday, I had to have my laptop scanned by the client's IT department to make sure it was virus-free and safe to connect to the network. After delivering my computer to the IT area for said scan, I returned to the communal work room for the remainder of the 2-hour scanning process, where I realized how challenging it is for an IT consultant to appear productive with no computer in front of them. So I got out a pad of paper and a pen, hoping to at least look like I was writing important notes about something. But what to actually do with this pad? I had no notes to write. So I attempted a portrait of my stuffed penguin which sits on my desk. On the left is my drawing; on the right is a photograph of the actual penguin. I am quite impressed with my artistic creation!


On Wednesday I went to the mall for no reason in particular. I found a few awesome things, which are laid out below in photos arranged less artistically than Mari's similar posts and described in less appealing language. Mari: if you want a not-very-cool-project, try to make my clothing purchases sound more fun.

Left: Plum ruffle-top shirt; originally $39.50, I got it for $7.50 at the Limited. Behind that, a bright green sweater I got in Spain. Gray skirt, originally $59.50, I got it for $24.99 at the Limited. Fall-Green flutter-sleeve blouse (100% silk!), originally $69.00, I got it for $23.97 at Banana Republic. With the silk blouse is a brown cardigan I got a the Limited a few weeks ago, also on sale but I don't remember any specific prices.


Right: Jade Knit dress with tie waist, ruffle detailing on front, and made of very nice fabric, as indicated by its original price of $98.00!!! I got it for the a measly $23.00! Yay!

In summary, I spent $79.46 on items that originally totalled an impressive $266. I feel very pleased.

7 comments:

marigirl said...

Han!! That dress is gorgeous and it looks great on you! :) Wow, sis! A good $23 purchase, I'd say!! Dang, girl. ;)

"Wear this romantic frock watching for horizen for your loved one's return. He may not be at sea, but the longing is the same. dress: 'Brandi' in 'Carribbean Storm' $1,000,000."

Your dress' description exposes the fact that Chris and I are on an A&E "Horatio Hornblower" series kick. (embarrassed laugh)

marigirl said...

and...did they have anymore...?? :D

ps - good work on the penguin. it'd be funny if you mailed it to Titus with a ransome note. ha ha!

Hannah said...

I appreciate that you valued my dress at $1 million. I did not see any more when I bought it- just this one, in just my size. I think it has to do with this one having been purchased and then returned.

Kent said...

Han,

i'm glad you are enjoying the recent porject - work can be fun hwen it is like taking a test and not so fun when it is like homework.

Keep up the good shopping bargains. not only are your getting good bargains, you're stimulating the economy.

Dad

marigirl said...

Han, I tagged you! here you go: http://marispassportdiaries.blogspot.com/2008/11/tag-post.html

Evelyn said...

Very good penguin. Check with Luke on the difficulty of looking busy without a computer (like back in the old days)...he was citing it tonite as "impossible." He would be impressed!

Evelyn said...

Oh, yeah...cute and economical clothing bargains, too!