Monday, August 29, 2016

Half-hearted school

I sometimes see stuff in Facebook about people doing all sorts of fun creative schoolie stuff with their kids. My kids like schoolie stuff, and I have been wanting to be more productive lately. So after a brief nap and about 1/3 cup of coffee this afternoon I was like "hey, I think I will sit down and prepare some activities for the kids to do to learn numbers and stuff!" So I did.

After the kids were all awake and done with snack I told them I had some school for them to do and they were all excited. I had each kid practice tracing some letters and numbers, which was ok. But I was more excited about fruit loop math- for Jane it was simple addition problems for her to model with fruit loops, and for zeki it was addition problems with larger numbers, followed by some subtraction problems. The kids actually seemed to enjoy this. This was one of the first times I have really worked with Jane on this, and she got really excited when she was able to successfully complete them on her own. 
Ezra did not want to be left out of the action. He is also now developing the skill of pulling up on stuff, and found the little work table where the big kids were playing with fruit loops to be a worthy object of pulling-up practice. Jane was all like "moooommm! Ezzy is trying to grab it! NOOO Ezzy!"
I wonder if I would have been more motivated to continue the school stuff is Ezra had not been so disruptive. I feel like that's kid of the story of my life these days though. How do parents with babies homeschool the older ones? This mini schooling experience validates my plan to not homeschool our children. But we may continue to periodically do half-assed schoolie activities, which can be fun at this stage when there is no real need to actually learn anything.


 

 

 

No comments: