Monday, September 15, 2008

Putting the "IKE" in "Yikes"

Please take a moment to appreciate my cheesey title.

[pause for appreciation]

So this weekend I had planned to go up to College Station to visit Justin.  Imagine my delight when I found out that, due to hurricane Ike, work was ending at noon on Thursday and cancelled all day on Friday!  Yay! 3-1/2 day weekend!  So I got to go up to College Station Thursday evening after spending some time in Katy with the parents.

The weekend was pretty good, but wierd, since the hurricane made it rainy and a bit windy, so we couldn't do much outside.  Sometime Saturday I got an email saying that the client's office would be closed on Monday.  I'm thinking "yay! no work Monday!".  On Sunday I got an email from my apt complex saying there was no power there. I start formulating a plan: go back to Katy on Sunday night, stay with the parents and hang out with the fam all day Monday.  Sounds like fun.

On Sunday evening we had a regrouping conference call.  I find out that, while the client office will be closed on Monday, the home office does in fact have power, and that people should report to work there.  If you need to take some time to deal with property damages/hurricane debris/help family members, you should take a day of vacation to do so.  Boo! That stinks!  So I am at work now.  Since I don't have power or running water at my apartment, I am staying with Mama and Daddy in Katy and commuting to work in Houston.  Today wasn't too bad because MOST people don't have to go to work today so there was no traffic.  I'm not looking forward to the commute once downtown is back open; hopefully by then my apt will have power so I can go back.

I did stop by today (I had to get my key to the office), and there was an unpleasant odor in my apartment. It wasn't too strong and it didn't reak of spoiled food; it seemed more like a musty smell.  Now that I'm back at work, I look forward to getting back to life as normal.

Also, there is a ton of hurricane debris (trees, branches, fences, etc.) all over the streets around there.  I've taken a few pictures and hope to take some more, which I plan to post online later. I'll have to fetch my camera cable, which is currently in my powerless, musty-smelling apartment.

3 comments:

marigirl said...

mmm, musty smell. nice. by the way, I called it Hurricane Y-Ike to Mum and you on Friday. Copy Cat!

Evelyn said...

(And D'Ann is going to put that in her scrap book, too)Hey...where are those promised pictures? Ours just don't show a thing. :(

Katrina said...

love the title...keep the blogs coming